Saturday, November 20, 2010

How do I change the sparkplugs in my car?

I drive an '85 chrysler 5th Avenue. I'm not a total ignoramous when it comes to car maintainance. I changed the fuel filter today, and it occured to me that it's probably about time to change the spark plugs, too.

This is something I want to learn how to do for it's own sake; in the name of competence.How do I change the sparkplugs in my car?
the one thing to remember above all else...only do one at a time and then put the wire back on before going on to the next one. if you have two off and forget which one is which, they could be put on wrong, causing the plugs to fire at the wrong time. will sound funky.

be sure to check the gap...the distance between the plug and the L shaped piece. if it is now right, it could cause problems. your owners manual should have that info.How do I change the sparkplugs in my car?
With a plug socket and socket wrench.



As for the particulars, the V-6 in that car is very difficult to work on. You will need a special flexible extension to reach the plugs on the firewall side.How do I change the sparkplugs in my car?
Get a man too. :) LOLHow do I change the sparkplugs in my car?
yeah a socked and a dado de 5/8How do I change the sparkplugs in my car?
In the name of Compentence I wish you luck :) I have no clueHow do I change the sparkplugs in my car?
Actuly the only things you need pretty much are a 5/8 inch socket with a extenchen, a Ujoint, and ratchet and torque wrench. use the ratchet to take them off and use the torque wrench to torque them down. you can also find the specs of your car of how far you should torque them down in a car service manual for your car. Also you will want to make sure the gap on the plug is gapped to manufactors spec if the car is stock.How do I change the sparkplugs in my car?
I would suggest getting a Chilton manual for that car. It is possible that they need to be torqued to a certain spec--not sure on that. But you will need to change each plug separately to keep the firing order in line.

Also, I would change the wires too. Tha helps performance and increases gas mileage. Again go one at a time and don't mess up the firing order.



Basically, just remove a wire and a plug, replace it and move on to the next one. You will probably need a deep-well socket for the plugs.How do I change the sparkplugs in my car?
fairly strait foward for the 4 cylinder remove old one gap a new one and tighten it down, buy a cheap tourqe wrench if you don't feel comfortable guessing on it, once you own one it's really nice to have if you do a lot of your own work.How do I change the sparkplugs in my car?
I recommend that you go to a parts store and get one of those HAYNES manuals for about $16.00,and it will tell you about a whole lot more than just how to change your plugs.How do I change the sparkplugs in my car?
if it has aluminum heads you will want to put anti-seize compound on the spark plug threads before you put them in. this insures that the plugs can be removed laterHow do I change the sparkplugs in my car?
i think you should the plug wires as well. socket and wrench. pull the wires off and mark them. then match up the new ones. this will help to get them back on right



buy a manual also it will help for future repairs other things you can do yourself.How do I change the sparkplugs in my car?
Not trying to be a smartie but if you cant locate the spark plugs you really shouldn't be trying any maintnance.