Wednesday, November 24, 2010

2001 YAMAHA R1 STARTING PROBLEMS - PLEASE HELP?

I basically bought a 2001 Yamaha R1 in December for a really cheap price and what really attracted me to the motorcycle was very low kilometers. I live in Toronto So I basically purchased the motorcycle on december 31st 2009 (so it is very cold outside at that time -10 atleast)



I bought it from guy who basically had the motorcycle in his backyard in the freezing cold, at first it hesitated to start when i went to see the bike.It eventually started when i told him that in order for me to buy the bike he would have to bring it inside and see if it starts (so it did after a few trys)



So I purchased it and i knew it needed a new battery and a few things so i took it in to the mechanic because i was having starting problems with it. The mechanic basically changed the tires,sparkplugs,new battery,stator and oil change. So basically bike was running when it came out of the mechanics and would start every now and then as I would start it.



Now that the weather is nice, I take my motorcycle to the gym and around. But the thing is it has deceived me a few times as it didnt start. I rode it to the gym and came out it wouldnt start. Then after embarrasing my self, i opened the seat and started touching things like i knew what i was doing and it some how started.



Next day same thing, It wouldnt start in the garage and then i did my voo doo and touching of the battery and it started .



Now I am not trusting my bike as I think it would deceive me again, Does anyone know what could be wrong?



i have a new battery and stator so that is out of the question, my mechanic said he cleaned the carbs when i took it there and the spark plugs are also changed.



ONE OTHER THING I'D LIKE TO ADD IS THAT WHEN I START MY MOTORCYCLE I HAVE TO HOLD THE STARTER BUTTON AND GIVE IT GAS OR ELSE IT WOULDNT START. HOW CAN I JUST GET IT TO START BY PRESSING THE BUTTON JUST ONCE?



So Obviously ive got a few problems can any one help?2001 YAMAHA R1 STARTING PROBLEMS - PLEASE HELP?
You use %26quot;basically%26quot; a lot2001 YAMAHA R1 STARTING PROBLEMS - PLEASE HELP?
If I'm understanding you right, fiddling with the battery makes it start? Clean your battery terminals, tighten them down, check all your fuses for corrosion, and check the wiring to the starter.



As for it starting, you should be using the choke instead of throttle to start it up, and letting it idle until its warmed up. You didnt say if you were choking it or not, but it sounds like you arent.